Parasoft Insure++ vs Microfocus/Compuware DevPartner Studio

| 1 Comment

Has anyone got anything to say about the relative merits of Parasoft Insure++ vs the BoundsChecker parts of the Microfocus DevPartner Studio product?

I've used BoundsChecker for a long time, and it has plenty of faults but the fact that all support channels seem to have vanished during the transition of the product from Compuware to MicroFocus means that I'm now considering moving to something else.

So far my impression of Insure++ isn't being helped by the fact that the sales person seems to require a 'land line' to contact me on to enable them to talk to me about how I might get something to evaluate (oh good, "enterprise" marketing) and no, my mobile number isn't any use to them even though they're supposed to be based in the same country as I am. Add to that the fact that they're currently responding to their emails around once every 27 hrs (which means that I might not be at the fixed line number that I give them when they actually decide to call). It seems that by the time I get to evaluate the product I may well have found something else or even solved the issue that made me look for an alternative in the first place... Still, I guess it's good news, business must be good in "enterprise software sales-land" despite the downturn that might be affecting other sales avenues...

Edit: Well, that's interesting, in under an hour of posting this the MicroFocus DevPartner Development Manager has contacted me, mentioning this post, and with questions about my support problems since the transition... The questions were on target, so, hopefully, my support experiences might get a bit better shortly...

Edit: And now, in under a day, I've had a call from my account manager explaining the problems and delays and providing the serial numbers that I need to be able to use the MicroFocus support site. Now, I wonder if they've actually fixed the issue that they closed the support ticket on...

Edit: It's now 1st October and I've just tested the new alpha version of DevPartner studio 9.1 against the bug report that I'd filed which related to the tool hanging during orderly thread shutdown in a very simple multi-threaded test. The tool now handles the test code without hanging. I'm not sure when this latest release is due out but the docs imply that it supports Windows 7 (which would be nice) though I haven't yet tried it on a Windows 7 box.

1 Comment

Yes, sales must be good over in "enterprise software" land; they finally called me and the only way to get hold of anything to evaluate is for me to pay them 400 GBP for them to hand hold an installation via a web conference...

Licensing is then more expensive than Compuware's licensing which wouldn't necessarily be an issue but I don't really feel that throwing 400 quid away so that I can find out if their software works at all is actually something that I want to do.

I guess it's lucky that my development and testing style means that I don't need this kind of tool very often...

Leave a comment